Here are some truths you need to know to defend your home from water damage due to a flooded basement:
* Unwanted water can enter your home through many paths
* The amount of unwanted water you should allow in your home is zero
* Unwanted moisture will cause damage and the damage may happen rapidly or progressively
* In either case, the damaged caused by unwanted water can be financially catastrophic for the homeowner
* Unwanted moisture, by stimulating the growth of molds, can even harm the health of the people residing in the home
* You can get more information about water damage and help on how to prevent water from entering your basement or crawlspace at the links below.
Here are key signs of water entering the basement. Every homeowner should be aware of these signs.
* The first sign is very faint – it’s too much humidity. To keep indoor surfaces as dry as possible, try to maintain the home’s relative humidity between 20-40 percent in the winter and less than 60 percent during the rest of the year. Excess moisture not be endured because it can promote the growth of mold in your home.
* The first sign of mold you’ll notice is probably its odor. Chances are you’ve been in old houses that smell moldy or been around carpet that’s been left damp too long. If you notice an unpleasant smell in your basement and there’s no obvious reason for it, chances are good that it’s mold.
* Visible mold growth may appear as discoloration, staining, or fuzzy growth on the surface of building materials or furnishings.
* On the concrete walls of your basement, efflorescence is a sign of moisture penetration. Efflorescence is a whitish mineral deposit seen on the interior of foundation walls. It forms as water migrates through concrete walls and leaves minerals behind.
* Rusted nails or screws in plasterboard or paneling, rusted electrical boxes, and rusted feet on appliances are additional signs of unwanted water.
* Waterstains on finished walls, rotted or discolored wood, and lifting floor tiles are also signs of possible water damage. As a homeowner, you should make an effort to look for signs of water damage from time to time. And if you notice any of the signs, you need to take quick action.
Unwanted moisture in your basement is a direct threat to the financial value of your home and even to the health of your family.
Whether your basement walls are made of poured concrete or concrete blocks, water can find many paths into the basement.
For each path that water can take into your basement, there is a smart solution to keep the water out.
If you own a home in the Miami FL area, and want to make sure your basement stays dry, you can get expert advice and a free estimate from our water damage experts. We can help you with basement waterproofing, foundation waterproofing, concrete foundation repair, and concrete basement repair. Call us today at (917) 677-5308.